Saturday, February 1, 2014

Battle: ELF Poreless Face Primer VS Maybelline Instant Pore Eraser!

Primer Smackdown!

Primers
A few months ago I thought that in order to have a great primer it needed to be high end. I was pleasantly surprised by one of these primers specially because it proved me wrong! Lately the drugstore is coming out with amazing products. I'm excited to share my thoughts on both of these. For the longest you were only able to get the ELF products on their website but nowadays you can find the brand at Target and Walmart. For new items you still need to order online but for the most part they are slowing appearing in store. Their prices are amazing and they always have a 50% off coupon floating around for online shopping! So needless to say... I had high hopes for ELF.

I purchased the ELF Poreless Face Primer first, from their website for only $3 (retails for $6) because it looked promising. I loved the packaging, I mean its the complete opposite from the Maybelline one but I prefer it. I just like sleek, simple looking products. In this case... the packaging was the only thing I enjoyed about it because everything else was a fail. This ELF Primer claims to reduce the appearance of pores, fine lines and shine. It also claims that it will leave your face matte for a very long time. I don't agree with these claims at all!

I tested both of the primers with the same foundation on different days. The ELF one made my face feel a bit slippery as if it wouldn't settle.... just stay on the surface of my face. After applying my foundation I noticed that I would get super shiny within 2 hours. My pores were still pretty visible but the fact that I would get shiny emphasized them even more so it didn't work for me at all. On top of that... IT STINKS! I have no idea what it smells like but it is horrendous! It's a super strong smell that lingers for the first hour. After that I it either disappears or I get used to it haha. On their site it says that it's infused with Tea Tree so it must be that. I personally just cant stand it.

The Maybelline Instant Pore Eraser is amazing though! I keep calling it a primer but it doesn't claim to be... just a pore eraser. It does its job pretty well! As soon as I use it I immediately noticed a huge difference. Plus it stays on all day and erases my pores for the duration of my makeup! I still get shiny a tiny bit so I touch up but like I said... this product doesn't claim to control shine so I don't mind. The packaging is also adorable and convenient. Its a clear formula, a bit thicker than the ELF one but it settles so you don't feel it on your skin after a minute or so.

Bottom line: Maybelline won hands down! It's on $6 at your local drugstore (Walmart and Target too!) and it gets the job done. It doesn't have a scent and it last all day! I was excited to try the ELF one because it could've been a diamond in the rough but I just can't stand that smell. Besides it really didn't work for me overall. So if you want a primer that works and is inexpensive pass on the ELF one and go purchase the Maybelline! It's currently part of my makeup routine and it's made it better ever since! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment